Oracle PULA Summary
Oracle PULA (Oracle Perpetual Unlimited License Agreement ) in short:
- What is Oracle PULA?
- Provides unlimited license deployment rights for a fixed set of Oracle software products for an unspecified period
- The customer gives up the flexibility to partially terminate unused licenses.
Oracle PULA pros and cons
- Benefits of PULA:
- Simplified software asset management
- No license fees for included products
- Enables deployment of Oracle in virtual environments
- Reduced risk of an Oracle audit
- Drawbacks of PULA:
- The unlimited contract does not expire
- Typically more expensive than an Oracle Unlimited License Agreement (ULA)
- More restrictive language on technical support and the ability to terminate unused software and licenses
Oracle PULA Exit
- Ways to exit or certify PULA:
- Another company acquires the company
- The company is found to be non-compliant (breach of contract)
- The company fails to maintain a Total technical support stream.
Oracle PULA Negotiation
- Important terms to consider when signing a PULA:
- Customer definition (should include all entities accessing software)
- Territory (should cover all desired deployment locations, including public cloud zones)
- Technical support (consider capping fees)
- M&A (allows the inclusion of new entities)
- PULA Certification clause (dictates how Oracle will audit you at the end of the PULA)
Longer answer on what is an Oracle PULA
What is an Oracle PULA?
The Oracle Perpetual Unlimited License Agreement (PULA) is a powerful tool for companies that use Oracle products. It provides unlimited deployment rights for a fixed set of Oracle software products for an unspecified period. In exchange, the customer gives up the flexibility to partially terminate unused licenses.
Oracle PULA Benefits
There are several benefits to the PULA. It simplifies software asset management, eliminates license fees for the included products, and enables the deployment of Oracle in virtual environments. Additionally, the PULA reduces the risk of an Oracle audit, at least until the PULA ends.
However, there are also some drawbacks to the PULA. It is an unlimited contract that does not expire, so it is important to consider your long-term plans for using Oracle products before signing the PULA. Additionally, the PULA is typically more expensive than an Oracle Unlimited License Agreement (ULA). It has more restrictive language on technical support and the ability to terminate unused software and licenses.
Oracle PULA Certification
There are three ways a company may exit or certify its PULA: if the company is acquired by another company, if the company is found to be non-compliant (breach of contract), or if the company fails to maintain the Total technical support stream.
Oracle PULA Negotiation
When signing a PULA, there are several contract terms that you should focus on. The customer definition should include all entities accessing the software, and the territory should cover all territories where you want to deploy the software, including public cloud zones outside of your territory. You should also consider capping your support fees.
FAQ on Oracle PULA
- How is the Oracle PULA different from a normal ULA?
- PULA has no term and more restrictions on the support that can be terminated
- How is pricing calculated for Oracle PULA?
- No price list, determined through negotiation
- Every customer has an opportunity to negotiate a better price
- Will the Oracle PULA expire?
- No, the only way to exit is through a self-exit clause or if the company is acquired
- Can I terminate support for licenses or products I am not using in my Oracle PULA?
- No, bound by Oracle technical support policies and repricing rules
- How do we add additional Oracle programs to our Oracle PULA?
- Generally not possible unless a pre-negotiated price list for adding additional products
- Can I enter a PULA for Oracle applications?
- Yes, can enter PULA for Oracle EBS, Oracle Siebel, and Oracle JDE
- Can we use Oracle PULA programs in the public cloud?
- Yes, but check the contract for any restrictions
- Can use Oracle Bring Your License (BYOL) with PULA
- Before entering an Oracle PULA, what should I consider?
- Perform Oracle licensing assessment to include correct products in PULA
- The risk of not including correct products can lead to major financial risks for the company.
Our Oracle PULA License Optimization Service
Our Oracle Perpetual Unlimited License Agreement (PULA) optimization service includes a comprehensive licensing assessment, contract review, and advisory services to help determine if the PULA is the right one for your company.
Our team of experts will conduct a thorough licensing assessment to identify any areas of risk or opportunity in your current Oracle license estate. We will review your current contract to ensure that it aligns with your business needs and objectives and provide guidance on optimizing your license usage.
We will work with you to design a customized Oracle PULA contract that meets your needs and budget. We will also provide advisory services to help determine if the PULA is the right agreement for your company based on factors such as your long-term plans, budget, and appetite for vendor lock-in.
In addition, we offer benchmarking and negotiation support to ensure that you get the best possible terms for your Oracle PULA. Our team has extensive experience negotiating with Oracle and can provide valuable insights and strategies to help you secure the best deal.
Our Oracle PULA optimization service is designed to help you get the most value out of your Oracle license agreement and avoid costly mistakes. Let us help you optimize your Oracle PULA today.